in Onoway Gone, but its Memories
In April 2015, St. John's Anglican
Church, one of the
oldest buildings in Onoway, was dismantled. Some
of the original building
materials, including samples of floorboards,
wallboards and nails were salvaged
by Peter McConnell and are now part of the
Onoway Museum's collection. On one
board is written "W C Turnbull Onoway". He was
the Vicar's Warden
during the construction period so this may have
been the 'address label'.
In the Onoway
Museum's collection are two registers
from St. John's Church. The first entry in the Register of Services is dated
January 20, 1918 and shows 8:00 a.m.
and 7:00 p.m. services – 12 people attended the
evening service. Rev. R. M.
Swan was the resident vicar at that time. There
was no resident minister after
1933 but Miss S. Grove and Miss B. Onions,
Bishop's Messengers, came to work in
the parish and the Register shows that they (and
visiting ministers) held
services at Rich Valley, Brookdale,
Stettin-Nakamun. Glenevis, Glenford,
Calahoo, Bilby, Gunn, Alberta Beach. The entries
continue through to 1937.
The Register of
Burials – Confirmations - Parish History
shows no burials but confirmations
are recorded from May 1937 to June 1943.
One photo in the museum's collection shows
a confirmation group beside the church (with a
Ford??? car in the background).
If you can help identify the people in the
photo, please contact the museum at